Finding my Way to the Kitchen

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review Find of the Day

SPA week is coming to NYC in a few weeks and I was checking out some places. One place, Confidence Beauty Salon looked promising but of course, being the diligent researcher that I am, I had to dig into it more. Thank God I did!

This review just says it all; thanks corinaLoveu!!

Do not let them catch you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by corinaLOVEU at Citysearch

Traditionally a spa is committed to providing a calming environment, and beauty, health and relaxation are not compromised. Confidence Spa is not a traditional establishment; it’s a nail salon with a few bland rooms and inexperienced (and probably unlicensed) waxing technicians. Last Friday, I made an appointment for a Brazilian bikini wax at Confidence Spa. I had called a day in advance to ask if anyone other than Lisa would be available for this service. My friends had not enjoyed their experience with Lisa, and I did not want risk having a bad incident just because I was desperate to get rid of my forest. When I arrived 5 minutes late to my appointment, I was informed that Lisa was the only one available. A bit hesitant, I finally gave in and followed Lisa to a room. After I had removed my pants and underwear, Lisa starts inspecting my area. She claimed I let the hair grow too much and would have to trim it. I’ve been waxed many times before by an excellent professional, and I’ve never had my hair trimmed before waxing. Lisa pulled out a pair of dingy scissors from a drawer and started snipping away. I asked if the scissors were sanitized, but never got a clear answer. She pulled out a wooden stick and started mixing the wax, applying huge amounts of lava hot wax to the side of my inner thighs. Placing the paper on the wax, she pulled aggressively. She placed the paper she had just used to remove my hair on my leg while she applied more wax in the same area. She then took the same piece of paper and placed it on the wax and pulled again and again. I asked her why she was using the same paper over again, and she claimed it was normal procedure. She must have used the same piece of paper on my private area over 10 times. I also noticed that instead of discarding the used paper or placing the paper on her work station, she would place the paper next to or on my legs. She applied baby powder, which I didn’t mind until I realized that she was not done removing all my hair. After over ten minutes, she asked me to lift my leg so she could work on my backside. I asked her to give me a minute because I was in so much pain. I lifted my legs, and she applied the wax directly on my butt hole. Yes- you read correctly. At first I thought it was a mistake, but she placed a paper (which was covered in hair from previous uses) in the area. When she was finally done, she followed me to the reception area to try to sell me spa products, but I ignored her and paid the service without leaving a tip. I waddled across the street to Duane Reade and purchased Charmin wet wipes and Neosporin. When I was able to find a bathroom, I removed my pants and realized my panties were stuck to the side of my thigh, and the inside of my underwear was covered in baby powder and pieces of wax. It was disgusting to say the least, and I was in pain for a few days. I had made the appointment using Life Booker, and supposedly users get 50% off services at participating spas. That means that my $20 wax is originally $40, which is difficult to believe considering that the same strip of paper was used repeatedly to remove my hair, and Lisa is obviously not an expert. I wouldn’t even think of getting a manicure and pedicure there, since hygiene does not seem to be a priority at Confidence Spa. Let me tell you , sometimes the cheep prices doesn't always work, and Confidence Spa has cheep prices, but you don't want to go there, because you know the rule YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!.

* Cons: cheep service, cheep prises, bad attitude

No comments:

Post a Comment