Finding my Way to the Kitchen

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Restaurant Review - Mandoo Bar

I'm not sure where I'm going with this blog but I know for sure that if I don't mention food, then it won't be a clear reflection of who I am. Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE FOOD. I can't help it. I love to cook food and eat, eat, eat. This is tough since I'm getting married in July and need to lose some extra pounds.

Anyway, one particular food that I love are dumplings! I can eat them every day and probably eat a hundred pieces in one sitting. I kid you not. I went to Mandoo Bar with Natasha in K-Town yesterday and as usual, it did not disappoint. Their service was quick and dumplings were freshly made. As soon as you get seated, they give you some kimchee salad and fruits. I never have these items though, because I feel they've been hanging around all day. I usually get the Mandoo combo which is a variety of 16 dumplings that are steamed, vegetarian, pork, and shrimp for 16 bucks! Natasha and I also ordered Pad Thai with the dumplings. I've tried a couple of other dishes at Mandoo and at this point, it is safe to say that the only good thing about Mandoo Bar are the dumplings. Everything else will disappoint. The Pad Thai had just 3 small pieces of shrimp and was way too oil and rigid. I hope first time eaters of Pad Thai don't have their first at Mandoo because they won't realize how good Pad Thai really is!

As I said the service at Mandoo is very quick. You get your food within minutes of ordering. However, they may be too quick. So quick that they basically want to kick you out of the restaurant. Because the place is small, they really want their customers to be in and out. This is not good for me and Natasha since we only get to meet up once a month (if we are lucky) and have lots to talk about. Midway into our conversation, one of the waiters interrupted us and asked if we wanted the check. We looked at our 1/2 bottle of sake and in shock, we said yes. They handed our check immediately! I was kind of annoyed so we didn't leave just yet and made sure we finished our sake. Overall, Mandoo Bar hits the spot if you are looking for some quick, fresh, affordable, yummy dumplings. However, if you are looking for a place to converse and eat at ease, don't go here. I'm officially calling the Mandoo bar the hit and run dumpling spot.
Mandoo Bar
Grade: A- (due to not being able to enjoy your meal in a leisurely pace.)

Fresh Dumplings


The fruit/food they give you as you're seated

No comments:

Post a Comment